Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ghosts Upon the Earth

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing my favorite band live for the second time. Gungor is a band hard to classify as any genre, yet it is deeply rooted in Christianity and their music is an ode to the Christ follower in every sense.

I saw them first, last year in Franklin, Tennessee with a group of guys from church and everyone of us left a fan. I do think many people won't get what they are about without seeing them live. The music is so diverse as 14 or more musicians blend blues, bluegrass, classical, and funk into a melody so sweet that literally anyone can be soothed, moved and comforted by hearing it.

The visuals in the video and light production is every bit a part of the presentation as the music. It sets the mood, the tone, and the perspective of the composers core. When I say composer I am referring to Michael Gungor. He is a master of his craft and he leads his band with love and precision to create what is nothing short of amazing musically. The percussion is demanding and complimentary to every string of every instrument. The audience is mesmerized as if their ears are touched by the velvet wings of angels. Vocally Michael Gungor has a silky smooth and vulnerable falsetto that is mesmerizing and he is complimented by his wife Lisa who's angelic voice is sweet, haunting and unforgettable.

I was accompanied by my friend Eric and his wife Alisha who were not as familiar with Gungor. On the way down we listened to the new album, "Ghosts Upon the Earth". Their reaction was that it was "OK" and they were puzzled by why I am so nutso about this music. I must admit that I wasn't sure if I liked this new album as much as "Beautiful Things". Before the end of the opening song they understood and immediately they were captivated and I fell in love all over again. It also helped me understand why I liked it so much. You really must see them live. I have seen many concerts in many genres of music and there is NONE I would rather see than Gungor. Yes, it's that good.

"Ghosts Upon the Earth" is a journey through the scripture. It should be listened to as a whole. It is the Christian equivalent to Pink Floyd "The Wall". I think if you found a hammock to lie in on a comfortable breezy day and listened to this album from front to back that you could literally experience a morsel of heaven. It is not only some of the best music live ever but it is one of the best worship services you can attend. You certainly don't have to be a Christian to love this group, but if you are a Christian you will certainly feel the presence of God. The love this band has for Christ is undeniable. They are IN LOVE with God and because of it they make you fall in love with them.

You can find tour info for Gungor here. Go see them and you will never be the same.

If there is "Elevator" or "Hold" music in Heaven, I bet it's playing "Ghosts Upon the Earth" today.



No comments: