Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sometimes You Have To Park The Boat

I'm sitting here this morning in what I call my man shed. It's my place for grunting, chest beating, and all things man. My fortress of solitude of sorts you might say. My tools, my smokers, my lawn mower, and most importantly, my boat. My boat was my fathers before he passed just short of 4 years ago. I suppose that's a short time in some measures but to me it seems like an eternity as I would do near anything to spend some time with Dad.

It is the dawn of the 2012 College Game Day season kickoff . As I've written in past posts, this takes me to a place of fond memories of my father. Our love for football was a special bond and we spent a lot of time in the fall watching the Georgia Bulldogs or listening to Larry Munson rant on the radio in the heat of a dove field on this opening day. Often we would cook up a feast of tailgating splendor and spend the day watching football until we fell asleep in the living room under the glow of ESPN highlights.

This morning at 4:30 AM I rose and set out to the shed to start the smokers in traditional fashion. Boston Butt, beef ribs, brats and my should be famous HWY 41 Smoked Beans are on the menu today. Kickoff is shortly after noon and I'm anxious to see the Dawgs sharpen their teeth on Buffalo to get our first look at the 2012 Georgia Bulldogs.

As the Butt first starts to rise in temperature the sun hasn't risen yet. I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee and reading some scripture with my chair leaning back against the boat.

Aside from football my father and I spend countless hours fishing whether it was in a pond, river, lake or ocean. We loved it and my father spent the last few years of his life doing as much fishing as he did anything else. When he passed I figured I would continue where he left off with the possession of his boat and a lake a few miles down the road. For the first 6 months or so I did exactly that. Then in a time of being lost in mourning and desperation the best thing that ever happened to me happened. I became a Christ follower. When I did, I dropped everything and went head first into my walk with Christ and I'm still there today. I got involved in a satellite church launch and I'm very passionate about the church and it's success to reach lost souls - People that are lost just as I was less than 4 years ago.

With that commitment, the boat doesn't leave the shed that much. I often feel like I'm letting my father down with that boat sitting there in the shed collecting dust, fuel going bad in the tank, and the fishing line dry rotting on the reels. Aside from needing to be serviced in a big way the boat's still in good shape but boats even sitting in a  shelter still require lots of care and I do a pretty poor job of doing it properly.

As I am sitting in the shed this morning pondering on that almost shamefully, I start reading the following scripture:

Mathew 4: 18-22

The First Disciples

18 As He was walking along the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon, who was called Peter, and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the sea, since they were fishermen. 19 "Follow Me," He told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. 21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and He called them.
22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him.

 Immediately after reading this I am given both confirmation that I should have no shame. Because my Father is certainly pleased with my actions. Which father I speak of here doesn't matter. I too have become a disciple and I thank my Lord for favoring me with the ability to do such. Feeling tired and even bitter sometimes because I don't get to do all of the things I love as much as I used to, I am sure and steady in the right path.

The butt is starting to drip and the last stars are starting to fade with the imminent rising of the sun. There will be Smoked pork, ribs, beans and boiled peanuts today in typical Webb tradition. Father is here in spirit and it is a good day.

GO DAWGS!


1 comment:

Big Mama Rabbit said...

Yep, sometimes you've got to park the boat. Proud of you, Vic. I imagine both of your Fathers are smiling at you today, too. And.....GO DAWGS!!

Lynn